|S1299: A bill to establish on behalf of consumers a fiduciary duty and other standards of care for mortgage brokers and originators, and to establish standards to assess a consumer's ability to repay, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Amends the Truth in Lending Act to deem a mortgage broker, in the case of a home mortgage loan, to have a fiduciary relationship with the consumer. Subjects each such mortgage broker to all federal and state requirements for fiduciaries.
- Requires each mortgage originator, in addition to the duties imposed by federal and state requirements, to act with respect to each home mortgage loan: (1) with reasonable skill, care, and diligence; and (2) in good faith and with fair dealing in any transaction, practice, or with associated course of business.
- Requires a mortgage originator, before entering into or otherwise facilitating a home mortgage loan, to verify the borrower's reasonable ability to pay the principal and interest, real estate taxes, and homeowners insurance fees and premiums. Prescribes a formula for determining ability to pay variable mortgage rates.
- Makes the lender liable for acts, omissions, and representations of a mortgage broker in connection with any rate spread mortgage loan the broker sells or delivers to the lender.
- Prohibits a mortgage originator from steering a consumer to home mortgage loan rates, charges, principal amount, or prepayment terms not reasonably advantageous to the consumer.
- Prescribes mortgage originator duties to consumers.
- Prohibits specified mortgage originator conduct, especially entering into a home mortgage loan when the originator has reason to believe that the appraiser of the property securing the loan failed to act in good faith and fair dealing in its appraisal.
- Prohibits a mortgage originator from: (1) seeking to influence an appraiser or otherwise to encourage a targeted value; or (2) selecting an appraiser on the expectation that the appraiser would provide a targeted value.
- Requires the mortgage originator to provide a copy of the appraisal report to a home mortgage loan applicant, whether credit is granted, denied, or the application was withdrawn.
|View full text||
View bill history
|S1299 at GovTrack||S1299 at the Library of Congress|
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]
Sen. Robert Casey [D, PA]
Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN]
Sen. Joseph Lieberman [I, CT]
Sen. Barbara Mikulski [D, MD]
No arguments for this bill have been posted yet. Be the first one!
No arguments against this bill have been posted yet. Be the first one!
CommentsNo comments have been posted yet. Be the first one!