Bills 1 to 10 of 170
|S1748: A bill to prevent the Federal Communications Commission from repromulgating the fairness doctrine [0 comments]|
Amends the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), notwithstanding any other provision of any Act, from having the authority to require broadcasters to present opposing viewpoints on controversial issues of public importance, commonly referred to as the Fairness Doctrine.
Directs the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate to arrange for the presentation of a congressional gold medal to Michael Ellis DeBakey, M.D. (who performed the first successful coronary bypass, pioneered the field of telemedicine, was elected the first President of Baylor College of Medicine, and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction and the National Medal of Science) in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the nation.
|S388: A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State [0 comments]|
Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a nonresident of a state to carry concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) in that state if such nonresident has a valid permit to carry firearms in any state and is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law, subject to restrictions imposed by the state issuing the permit or under this Act.
|S1534: A bill to hold the current regime in Iran accountable for its human rights record and to support a transition to democracy in Iran [0 comments]|
- Amends the Iran Freedom Support Act to direct the President to appoint a special envoy for human rights in Iran within the Department of State to coordinate efforts to improve respect for the fundamental human rights of the people of Iran and work with organizations committed to promoting democracy in Iran.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that: (1) there is a direct relationship between the state of freedom and democracy within Iran and the efforts of the Iranian regime to acquire nuclear weapons and the long-term success of the global war on terror; (2) it is essential that the issue of human rights violations in Iran should remain a top U.S. foreign policy priority independent of efforts to address the nuclear threat in Iran; (3) the U.S. government should explore the possibility of a regional human rights dialogue with Iran; (4) the United Nations has a significant role to play in improving human rights in Iran; and (5) the commitment to human rights and democracy of an Iranian national who has applied for a U.S. entry visa should be considered when determining visa eligibility.
|S1716: A bill to amend the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007, to strike a requirement relating to forage producers [0 comments]|
Amends the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007 to eliminate the requirement that forage producers must participate in the insurance pilot program or the noninsured crop disaster assistance program in order to receive crop disaster and livestock assistance.
|S561: A bill to repeal the sunset of the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 with respect to the expansion of the adoption credit and adoption assistance programs [0 comments]|
Exempts provisions expanding the adoption tax credit and adoption assistance programs enacted by the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 from the general terminating (sunset) provisions of that Act.
|SR117: A resolution commemorating the 25th anniversary of the construction and dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial [0 comments]|
- Expresses support and gratitude for the men and women of the Armed Forces in defense of freedom and democracy during the Vietnam War.
- Extends sympathies to all people in the United States who suffered the loss of friends and family in Vietnam.
- Encourages the people of the United States to remember the sacrifices of our veterans.
- [View bill for full summary]
- Terminates the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 for taxable years beginning after 2010, except provisions of such Code relating to social security taxation (i.e., taxes on wage, self-employment, and railroad retirement income).
- Establishes within the legislative branch a National Commission on Tax Reform and Simplification. Directs the Commission to: (1) review the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and its impact on the economy, families, and the workforce: (2) determine whether the current income tax system can be replaced by more a more efficient and fair system of taxation; and (3) submit a report to Congress on the results of its review with recommendations for fundamental reform and simplification of the Code.
- Requires congressional approval of a new federal tax system no later than July 4, 2010, or a vote of Congress to reauthorize the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
|S807: A bill to amend the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act of 1980 to provide that manure shall not be considered to be a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant [0 comments]|
- Amends the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) to: (1) include the definition of "manure"; and (2) exclude manure from the meaning of "hazardous substance" or "pollutant or contaminant" under that Act. Provides that such exclusion shall not: (1) impose liability under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act of 1986 with respect to manure; (2) affect any provision of the Air Quality Agreement entered into between the Administrator and operators of animal feeding operations; or (3) affect the applicability of any other environmental law as it relates to the definition of manure or the responsibilities or liabilities of any person regarding the treatment, storage, or disposal of manure.
- Amends the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 to exempt releases associated with manure (as defined under CERCLA) from the emergency notification requirements under that Act.
|S502: A bill to repeal the sunset on the reduction of capital gains rates for individuals and on the taxation of dividends of individuals at capital gains rates [0 comments]|
Repeals the termination date in the Jobs Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 for provisions reducing individual tax rates on capital gains and dividend income.