Sen. Gordon SmithRepublican
More InformationWikipedia Article
|S652: A bill to extend certain trade preferences to certain least-developed countries, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Tariff Relief Assistance for Developing Economies Act of 2007 or TRADE Act of 2007 - Authorizes the President to designate Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Maldives, Nepal, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Yemen, and Sri Lanka or their successor political entities (TRADE Act of 2007 countries) as beneficiary TRADE Act of 2007 countries eligible to receive duty-free treatment for certain articles that are the growth, product, or manufacture of such countries, if after receiving the advice of the International Trade Commission (ITC) the President determines that such articles are not import-sensitive in the context of imports from such countries.
- Conditions such designation upon eligibility requirements of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) and the Trade Act of 1974.
- Prescribes the rule of origin for the articles for the duty-free treatment.
- [View bill for full summary]
|S3053: A bill to amend title XI of the Social Security Act to provide grants for eligible entities to provide services to improve financial literacy among older individuals [0 comments]|
- Amends part A (General Provisions) of title XI of the Social Security Act to direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services to make grants to enable eligible entities to provide services to improve financial literacy among older individuals, including family members and legal representatives of such individuals.
- Authorizes the Secretary to make such a grant to a national support center to: (1) coordinate services provided through the grant program; and (2) support grant recipients.
|S1107: A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to reduce cost-sharing under part D of such title for certain non-institutionalized full-benefit dual eligible individuals [0 comments]|
Amends part D (Voluntary Prescription Drug Benefit Program) of title XVIII (Medicare) of the Social Security Act to eliminate part D cost-sharing for certain non-institutionalized full-benefit dual eligible individuals with income below 135% of the poverty line who: (1) reside in an assisted living facility, a resident care program facility, a board and care facility, or any other appropriate licenced facility, including a community mental health center, a psychiatric health facility, a mental health rehabilitation center, and a mental retardation developmental disability facility; or (2) receive home and community-based services in a home setting under a home and community-based waiver.
|S3054: A bill to require all automobiles manufactured or sold in the United States to be equipped with a real time and average fuel economy display [0 comments]|
|S2447: A bill to make a technical correction to section 119 of title 17, United States Code [0 comments]|
Applies statutory license requirements to secondary transmissions by a satellite carrier to subscribers in certain counties of primary transmissions of a network station located in a state in which there are located four such counties that, on January 1, 2004, had a specified combined number of television households and that were in local markets principally comprised of counties in another state, if the satellite carrier or any cable operator was making such secondary transmissions to any subscribers in such a county on that date.
|S1623: A bill to require the withholding of United States contributions to the United Nations until the President certifies that the United Nations is not engaged in global taxation schemes [0 comments]|
- Requires the withholding of 20% of U.S. contributions to the regular budget of the United Nations and other applicable international organizations until the President certifies that neither the United Nations (or U.N. agencies) nor any other international organization has authority under U.S. law to impose, or has imposed or proposed, taxes or fees on the U.S. government, states, or U.S. corporations or nationals.
- States that such provision shall not apply to: (1) fees for publications or other fees that are not tantamount to a tax on U.S. citizens; (2) the World Intellectual Property Organization; or (3) staff assessment costs of the United Nations and its agencies.
|S691: A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to improve the benefits under the Medicare program for beneficiaries with kidney disease, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to establish demonstration projects to: (1) increase public awareness about the factors that lead to chronic kidney disease, how to prevent it, how to treat it, and how to avoid kidney failure, as well as enhance surveillance systems and expand research to better assess the prevalence and incidence of kidney disease; and (2) enable individuals with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) to develop self-management skills.
- Amends title XVIII (Medicare) of the Social Security Act (SSA) to provide for Medicare coverage of kidney disease patient education services.
- Directs the Secretary to: (1) establish blood flow monitoring demonstration projects; and (2) arrange with the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences to evaluate the barriers to increasing the number of individuals with ESRD who elect to receive home dialysis services or other treatment modalities under Medicare.
- [View bill for full summary]
|S1650: A bill to establish a digital and wireless network technology program, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
Max Cleland Minority Serving Institution Digital and Wireless Technology Opportunity Act - Establishes within the National Science Foundation (NSF) an Office of Minority Serving Institution Digital and Wireless Technology to: (1) award grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements (assistance) to eligible institutions to provide educational instruction in digital and wireless network technologies; and (2) strengthen the national digital and wireless infrastructure by increasing national investment in telecommunications and technology infrastructure at eligible institutions.
- Requires the NSF Director to establish an advisory council on the best approaches for involving eligible institutions in supported activities and for reviewing and evaluating submitted proposals. Requires the council to include members from minority serving institutions.
- Makes the following institutions eligible for such assistance: (1) a historically Black college or university; (2) a Hispanic-, Alaska Native-, or Native Hawaiian-serving institution; (3) a tribally controlled college or university; or (4) an institution determined to have enrolled a substantial number of minority, low-income students who received assistance under the Higher Education Act of 1965. Provides a matching funds requirement.
Directs the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate to arrange for the presentation of a congressional gold medal to Michael Ellis DeBakey, M.D. (who performed the first successful coronary bypass, pioneered the field of telemedicine, was elected the first President of Baylor College of Medicine, and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction and the National Medal of Science) in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the nation.
|S388: A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State [0 comments]|
Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a nonresident of a state to carry concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) in that state if such nonresident has a valid permit to carry firearms in any state and is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law, subject to restrictions imposed by the state issuing the permit or under this Act.