Rep. Gary AckermanDemocrat
More InformationWikipedia Article
|H2293: To require the Secretary of State to submit to Congress a report on efforts to bring to justice the Palestinian terrorists who killed John Branchizio, Mark Parson, and John Marin Linde [0 comments]|
- Expresses the sense of Congress that: (1) the Palestinian Authority's (PA) continued inability or unwillingness to pursue and bring to justice the Palestinian terrorists who killed John Branchizio, Mark Parson, and John Marin Linde calls into question the PA's suitability as a U.S. partner in diplomatic efforts to resolve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict; (2) future U.S. assistance to the PA may be suspended or conditioned, and the continued operation of the PLO Representative Office in Washington may be jeopardized, if the PA does not cooperate in bringing these individuals to justice; and (3) it is in the U.S. national interest to safeguard diplomats and all embassy and consulate personnel, and to use the full power of the United States to bring to justice any individual or entity that threatens or harms them.
- Directs the Secretary of State, within 30 days after the date of the enactment of this Act and every 120 days thereafter, to report to the appropriate congressional committees describing U.S. and PA efforts to bring to justice the Palestinian terrorists who killed John Branchizio, Mark Parson, and John Marin Linde.
|H4721: To amend the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002 to temporarily reduce the insurer deductibles for insurers sustaining insured losses from large terrorism events [0 comments]|
- Amends the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002 to revise the definition of "insurer deductible" with respect to a situation where aggregate industry insured losses resulting from a certified act of terrorism exceed $1 billion for an insurer that sustains any of such losses.
- Sets forth a calculation for the value of such an insurer's direct earned premiums over the calendar year immediately preceding the program year.
|H2678: To prohibit the use of funds appropriated to the Department of Agriculture to approve for human consumption animals that do not stand and walk unassisted [0 comments]|
Prohibits the use of funds appropriated to the Department of Agriculture to approve or contract with any person or entity to approve for human consumption any cow, sheep, pig, goat, or horse, mule, or other equine that does not stand and walk unassisted at any time while the animal is alive at a slaughtering, packing, meat-canning, rendering, or similar establishment.
|H5859: To amend the Clean Air Act to provide that State grants under that Act shall be given to States having consumer beverage container deposit laws on a priority basis, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
Amends the Clean Air Act to provide that grants for support of air pollution planning and control programs shall be given to states that have enacted laws requiring a deposit on consumer beverage containers before any such grants may be given to other states.
|H2446: To reauthorize the Afghanistan Freedom Support Act of 2002, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Amends the Afghanistan Freedom Support Act of 2002 to extend authorization of appropriations for counternarcotics efforts. Authorizes appropriations for a pilot program (established by this Act) of crop substitution for poppy production.
- Provides for assistance with respect to: (1) infrastructure reconstruction; (2) education, and anti-corruption, including implementation of the Afghan action plan on transitional justice; (3) assistance to women and girls; (4) energy development and short-term energy supply; and (5) capacity building.
- Prohibits, as of FY2009, assistance to a local or provincial government of Afghanistan if the President certifies to Congress that one or more senior officials from such provincial or local government is engaged in or benefits from the narcotics trade or is engaged in terrorist or criminal activities.
- [View bill for full summary]
|H566: To waive the time limitations specified by law for the award of certain military decorations in order to allow the posthumous award of the Medal of Honor to Doris Miller for actions while a member of the Navy during World War II [0 comments]|
Waives certain time limitations with respect to the posthumous award of the Medal of Honor to Doris Miller for acts of heroism during World War II as a member of the United States Navy.
Affirmation of the United States Record on the Armenian Genocide Resolution - Calls upon the President: (1) to ensure that U.S. foreign policy reflects appropriate understanding and sensitivity concerning issues related to human rights, ethnic cleansing, and genocide documented in the U.S. record relating to the Armenian Genocide and the consequences of the failure to realize a just resolution; and (2) in the President's annual message commemorating the Armenian Genocide to characterize the systematic and deliberate annihilation of 1.5 million Armenians as genocide, and to recall the proud history of U.S. intervention in opposition to the Armenian Genocide.
Confers honorary U.S. citizenship on Anne Frank (a victim of the Holocaust whose diary is one of the most widely read Holocaust memoirs).
|H2140: To provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling [0 comments]|
Requires the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a comprehensive study of Internet gambling, including the existing legal framework that governs such activities and transactions and the impact of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act on Internet gambling in the United States.