Rep. Joe BacaDemocrat
More InformationWikipedia Article
|H3585: To honor of the achievements and contributions of Native Americans to the United States, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Makes specified findings, including that the Friday immediately succeeding Thanksgiving Day of each year would be an appropriate day to designate as Native American Heritage Day.
- Encourages educational institutions to develop model educational curricula, in consultation with Native American governmental leaders, for purposes of recognizing a Native American Heritage Day, emphasizing the contributions of Native Americans to the United States and the world.
- Encourages the people of the United States, as well as federal, state, and local governments and interested groups and organizations to observe a Native American Heritage Day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.
|H2957: To amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to improve educational practices for limited English proficient students and immigrant students [0 comments]|
- Amends title III (Language Instruction for Limited English Proficient and Immigrant Students) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to raise, from 6.5% to 9%, the amount of title III appropriations devoted to the National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition and Language Instruction Educational Programs and a program providing competitive grants to institutions of higher education (IHEs) for teacher training to improve classroom instruction for limited English proficient children.
- Alters such grant program by allowing the provision of grants directly to states and local educational agencies (LEAs) and eliminating the requirement that IHE grantees be in consortia with states or LEAs.
- Adds to allowable grant uses: (1) the development and dissemination of best practices in teaching individuals with limited English proficiency to high levels of achievement pursuant to challenging state academic performance standards or to high levels of multiligual proficiency; (2) research and evaluation of the education provided to such individuals; and (3) technical assistance to states and LEAs in meeting the requirements of title III.
|HR883: Honoring the heroic service and sacrifice of the 350 American soldiers detained at the Nazi camp at Berga during World War II [0 comments]|
Recognizes and expresses appreciation for the courageous and loyal contributions made by the American soldiers detained in Berga, Germany, during World War II and encourages the people of the United States to recognize their service and loyalty.
|H1070: To allow postal patrons to contribute to funding for gang prevention programs through the voluntary purchase of certain specially issued postage stamps [0 comments]|
Directs the U.S. Postal Service to issue a special postage stamp to provide funding for the Department of Justice Gang Resistance Education and Training Program.
- Directs the Secretary of Agriculture to: (1) establish a program through FY2013 to provide greater access and opportunities for minority and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers to Department of Agriculture programs and services; and (2) establish the USDA Minority Producer Land Preservation Commission (to terminate nine years after enactment of this Act) to review pending Department foreclosure proceedings.
- Amends the National Agricultural Research, Extension, and Teaching Policy Act of 1977 to extend authorization of appropriations for education grants for Hispanic-serving institutions.
- Amends the Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990 to revise pesticide recordkeeping provisions.
- [View bill for full summary]
|HC26: Expressing the sense of the Congress that the United States Postal Service should issue a postage stamp commemorating Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr [0 comments]|
Expresses the sense of the Congress that: (1) the United States Postal Service should issue a postage stamp commemorating Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.; and (2) the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee should recommend to the Postmaster General that such a stamp be issued.
|HR130: Congratulating the National Football League champion Indianapolis Colts for winning Super Bowl XLI and for bringing the City of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana their first Lombardi Trophy [0 comments]|
Congratulates the National Football League champion Indianapolis Colts for winning Super Bowl XLI and for bringing the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana their first Lombardi Trophy.
|H579: To amend title 10, United States Code, to prohibit certain increases in fees for military health care [0 comments]|
- Expresses the sense of Congress that: (1) the Department of Defense (DOD) and the nation have a committed health benefits obligation to retired military personnel that exceeds the obligation of corporate employers to civilian employees; and (2) DOD has many additional options to constrain the growth of health care spending in ways that do not disadvantage beneficiaries, and should pursue such options rather than seeking large fee increases for beneficiaries.
- Prohibits an increase after: (1) April 1, 2006, in a premium, deductible, copayment, or other charge prescribed by the Secretary of Defense for medical and dental health care coverage for military personnel; and (2) September 30, 2007, in the dollar amount of a cost-sharing requirement under the DOD pharmacy benefits program.
- Prohibits: (1) charges for DOD inpatient care from exceeding $535 per day; and (2) beginning on April 1, 2006, an increase in premiums under TRICARE (a DOD managed health care program) for certain members of the Selected Reserve.
Affirmation of the United States Record on the Armenian Genocide Resolution - Calls upon the President: (1) to ensure that U.S. foreign policy reflects appropriate understanding and sensitivity concerning issues related to human rights, ethnic cleansing, and genocide documented in the U.S. record relating to the Armenian Genocide and the consequences of the failure to realize a just resolution; and (2) in the President's annual message commemorating the Armenian Genocide to characterize the systematic and deliberate annihilation of 1.5 million Armenians as genocide, and to recall the proud history of U.S. intervention in opposition to the Armenian Genocide.
- Reauthorizes appropriations for FY2008-FY2011 for: (1) airport planning and development and noise compatibility planning programs; (2) air navigation facilities and equipment; and (3) FAA operations. Authorizes additional authorizations of appropriations from the general fund of the Treasury for aviation programs through FY2011.
- Amends the airport improvement program (AIP) to increase passenger facility charge amounts that can be imposed by an eligible agency to finance an eligible airport-related project. Expands eligibility requirements for airport-related projects to include projects for: (1) construction of airport bicycle storage facilities; (2) mitigation of noise to buildings caused by large hub airports; and (3) an intermodal ground access pilot project.
- Establishes user fees for aircraft owners or operators for certain Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) services. Provides for the adjustment of overflight fees.
- [View bill for full summary]