Rep. Richard BakerRepublican
More InformationWikipedia Article
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on Nickel Carbonate (NiCO3).
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on Cobalt Carbonate (CoCO3).
Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to conduct a five-year pilot project to test the feasibility and advisability of the use of educational assistance under certain programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to pay for training costs associated with the purchase of a franchise enterprise. Prohibits the use of such assistance unless: (1) training is required and provided in connection with the purchase and operation of a franchise; and (2) such training, and the training entity, are approved by the Secretary. Provides training and entity approval requirements.
|H1131: To establish a commission to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the American Civil War [0 comments]|
- Directs the Secretary of the Interior to establish a Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission to plan, develop, and carry out programs and activities appropriate to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, and to carry out other specified duties.
- Directs the National Endowment for the Humanities to award grants for appropriate activities relating to the Civil War sesquicentennial, and to consider for such grants university, museum, or academic programs with national scope that sponsor multidisciplinary projects, including those that concentrate on the role of African Americans in the Civil War.
|HR933: Commending the Louisiana State University Tigers football team for winning the 2007 Bowl Championship Series national championship game [0 comments]|
Commends the Louisiana State University Tigers football team for winning the 2007 Bowl Championship Series national championship game.
|H472: To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to address the issues of college affordability and transparency [0 comments]|
- Amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 to direct the Commissioner of Education Statistics, in redesigning the College Opportunity On-Line (COOL) website, to identify and include the data of greatest importance to prospective and enrolled students, and their families.
- Requires the Secretary of Education to publish, on such website, additional college affordability information comparing the change in each school's student costs with the change in the consumer price index (CPI) over the most recent three-year period.
- Requires a school whose prices increase at more than twice the percentage change in the CPI over such time period to: (1) report an explanation to the Secretary; and (2) establish a quality-efficiency task force to review the school's operations, if the school's price increase is in the top 5% of such schools. Places schools on affordability alert status if their prices continue to exceed the CPI by such amount for two additional years. Requires publication of the explanatory reports, task force analyses, and affordability alerts on the COOL website.
- [View bill for full summary]
|H1761: To amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to establish the Teacher Incentive Fund Program, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
- Amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to create a Teacher Incentive Fund program of competitive grants to assist states, local educational agencies (LEAs), and nonprofit organizations to develop and implement, or improve, appraisal and performance-based compensation systems to reward teachers and principals who raise student academic achievement and close the achievement gap, especially in the highest-need LEAs.
- Increases required non-federal contributions to the program, on a graduated basis, from an amount equal 25% of the grant amount received in the first year to 50% of the grant amount received in the grant's fifth and final year. Allows the Secretary of Education to waive such matching requirement for high-need LEAs.
|H2727: To extend the current moratorium for small businesses complying with section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 by 1 year [0 comments]|
- Directs the Securities and Exchange Commission to modify its regulations under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) for annual management assessments of, and reports on, internal financial controls.
- Requires such regulations to provide that a non-accelerated filer does not have to provide management's report on internal control over financial reporting until it files an annual report for its first fiscal year ending on or after December 15, 2008 (thereby extending the current moratorium on such requirements for small businesses).
Supports the goals and ideals of National Life Insurance Awareness Month.
|H2578: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend and expand the benefits for businesses operating in empowerment zones, enterprise communities, or renewal communities, and for other purposes [0 comments]|
Amends Internal Revenue Code provisions relating to tax-preferred empowerment zones, rural enterprise communities, and renewal communities to: (1) extend the period of designation for such areas through 2015; (2) provide a safe harbor standard for employee residency requirements in empowerment zones; (3) eliminate certain residency requirements for the empowerment zone employment tax credit; (4) grant authority to expand the boundaries of empowerment zones and enterprise communities, including those located in rural areas; (5) allow carryovers of unused expensing allowances for enterprise zone businesses; (6) allow certain empowerment zone businesses to elect to receive payments in lieu of tax benefits; (7) allow federal guarantees and tax exemptions for enterprise zones and renewal communities; and (8) allow the issuance of tax-exempt rural enterprise community bonds.