Rep. Julia CarsonDemocrat
More InformationWikipedia Article
|HR58: To honor Muhammad Ali, global humanitarian, on the occasion of his 65th birthday and to extend best wishes to him and his family [0 comments]|
Honors Muhammad Ali as a global humanitarian on the occasion of his 65th birthday.
|HR130: Congratulating the National Football League champion Indianapolis Colts for winning Super Bowl XLI and for bringing the City of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana their first Lombardi Trophy [0 comments]|
Congratulates the National Football League champion Indianapolis Colts for winning Super Bowl XLI and for bringing the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana their first Lombardi Trophy.
- Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Administrator of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, to prepare and periodically revise: (1) concise written materials to be used by school personnel in elementary schools, secondary schools, and institutions of higher education to help to identify the possible warning signs of a student with a high potential to be aggressive and harmful to property, themselves, or others, and report such behavior to designated school personnel; and (2) more detailed written materials to be used by designated school personnel to determine the appropriate actions to take with respect to such a student, including whether he or she should be referred to a mental health expert.
- Requires the first version of such materials to be provided to the Secretary of Education within 90 days of this Act's enactment for distribution to schools.
Amends the United States Housing Act of 1937 to direct the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to exempt from the community service requirement applicable to adult residents of a public housing project an individual who has been determined by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled, and who is unable to comply with such requirement, or is a primary caretaker of such individual.
|HR324: Honoring the life and accomplishments of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and extending the condolences of the House of Representatives to his family on the occasion of his death [0 comments]|
Extends condolences to the family of Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (author of the novel "Slaughterhouse Five") on the occasion of his death.
|H2217: To amend the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 to include homeless status in the definition of "hate crime" for the purposes of Federal sentencing provisions [0 comments]|
Amends the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 to revise the definition of "hate crime" to include a crime against an individual based on such individual's actual or perceived homeless status.
Declares that the House of Representatives: (1) recognizes that African American spirituals are a poignant and powerful genre of music that have become one of the most significant segments of American music in existence; (2) expresses the deepest gratitude, recognition, and honor to the former enslaved Africans in the United States for their gifts to our Nation, including their original music and oral history; and (3) requests that the President issue a proclamation that reflects on the important contribution of African American spirituals to American history, and naming the African American spiritual a national treasure.
|H2617: To direct the Secretary of Education to make grants to high-need local educational agencies to establish teaching residency programs [0 comments]|
- Amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to direct the Secretary of Education to make competitive, three-year, matching grants to high-need local educational agencies (LEAs) to establish and support teacher residency programs under which residents engage in rigorous master's level coursework at a college or university with which the LEA has an agreement while undertaking a guided teaching apprenticeship alongside a mentor teacher.
- Requires mentor teachers to have at least five years of teaching experience at a school in the high-need LEA and a master's degree in education or teaching.
- Requires program participants to attain full state teaching certification prior to completing the program and accept placement for at least five academic years thereafter in a school chosen by the high-need LEA.
|HR300: Commending the achievements of the Rutgers University women's basketball team and applauding the character and integrity of their student-athletes [0 comments]|
Commends the performance of the Rutgers University women's basketball team in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) tournament.
|H566: To waive the time limitations specified by law for the award of certain military decorations in order to allow the posthumous award of the Medal of Honor to Doris Miller for actions while a member of the Navy during World War II [0 comments]|
Waives certain time limitations with respect to the posthumous award of the Medal of Honor to Doris Miller for acts of heroism during World War II as a member of the United States Navy.