Rep. Jim CostaDemocrat
More InformationWikipedia Article
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on 1,2,4 Triazole.
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on Fluopicolide.
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on Fenhexamid.
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to suspend temporarily the duty on Belt & Synapse.
Amends the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to extend the temporary suspension of duty on Phenmedipham.
Affirmation of the United States Record on the Armenian Genocide Resolution - Calls upon the President: (1) to ensure that U.S. foreign policy reflects appropriate understanding and sensitivity concerning issues related to human rights, ethnic cleansing, and genocide documented in the U.S. record relating to the Armenian Genocide and the consequences of the failure to realize a just resolution; and (2) in the President's annual message commemorating the Armenian Genocide to characterize the systematic and deliberate annihilation of 1.5 million Armenians as genocide, and to recall the proud history of U.S. intervention in opposition to the Armenian Genocide.
|H2140: To provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling [0 comments]|
Requires the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a comprehensive study of Internet gambling, including the existing legal framework that governs such activities and transactions and the impact of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act on Internet gambling in the United States.
- Amends federal civil service law, with respect to both the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS), to require the Office of Personnel and Management (OPM) to prescribe regulations that deny eligibility under CSRS or FERS for a Member convicted of certain felony offenses in which: (1) every act or omission of such individual that is needed to satisfy the elements of the offense occurs while the individual is a Member; (2) such act or omission relates to the performance of the individual's official duties as a Member; and (3) the offense is committed after the enactment of this Act. Requires refund of annuity contributions and deposits, excluding interest earned, to a convicted individual.
- Defines Member as the Vice President, a member of the Senate or the House of Representatives, a Delegate to the House of Representatives, and the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.
Recognizes the historical struggle for independence and freedom of the Mexican people and requests the President to issue a proclamation recognizing that struggle and calling upon the people of the United States to observe Cinco de Mayo with appropriate ceremonies and activities.
- Amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 to establish a geography education grant program under title II, Teacher Quality Enhancement.
- Authorizes the Secretary of Education to award a grant to a national nonprofit educational organization or consortium, with 75% to be used for subgrants to institutions of higher education associated with state geographic alliances, nonprofit educational organizations, or state or local educational agencies.
- Requires various grantee and subgrantee activities designed to expand geographic literacy among kindergarten through grade 12 students by improving their teachers' professional development programs offered through institutions of higher education. Includes among such activities state-based conferences to assess geographic literacy and identify improvement strategies.